How To Treat Teeth Misalignment with Invisalign®
Dental misalignment is a very common problem in dentistry. There is a specialty specifically set aside for handling all the dental alignment problems of patients, known as orthodontics. All the misaligned teeth treatments are offered in orthodontic dentistry.
Usually, orthodontics had been known as a treatment option for children, popularized by traditional braces. However, today, there are lore adults visiting orthodontists in Rockford, IL than ever before. This just goes to show how invaluable orthodontic services are in dental health.
What Is Invisalign?
It is a dental appliance used in orthodontics as an alternative to the popular traditional braces. The Invisalign® braces are a lot different from traditional braces, in design and technique.
Technically, Invisalign features a clear set of teeth aligners that are worn over teeth to reposition them. The transparency of the dental appliance is the reason it is known as invisible braces.
Oral Problems Treated with Invisalign Braces
These braces are used for multiple purposes in orthodontics, including the following:
- Spaces between teeth – it is common for patients who have small teeth that do not properly fit in the jawbone. Other times the spaces can be due to gum related problems. The teeth can be brought closer together with invisible braces.
- Crowded mouth – it is when teeth overlap because of insufficient room in the jawbone for all teeth to sit properly. Crowding may require a tooth extraction procedure first, but invisible braces can correct the overlapping.
- Bite problems – this comprises an overbite, underbite, or crossbite. Bite problems happen when either your lower jawbone sticks out too much than your upper jawbone or the opposite. These situations make the front teeth stick out in the wrong ways, impacting the appearance of your smile. Other than that, bite problems can place a strain in your facial muscles as well as your jawbone. It is also a root for other oral problems like frequent accidental bites on your inner cheeks and lips.
Metal Braces vs Invisalign
Even though traditional braces have been used the longest, Invisalign braces are catching on in popularity. More people are beginning to embrace the concept of wearing invisible teeth aligners for their treatment. Some of the differences between metal braces and the clear aligners are:
- Metal vs plastic – metal aligners used metal brackets and wires to shift teeth. On the other hand, Invisalign comes in a plastic-like clear material that has no wires lingering from the front or the back.
- Adjustment technique – metal braces come with adjustable metal wires that are fine-tuned to tighten the braces. Clear aligners do not have any metal wires. Therefore, the entire aligner is replaced every couple of weeks for the right fit.
Invisalign vs ClearCorrect
In orthodontics, Invisalign and ClearCorrect aligners are very similar. Not only are they used to achieve a similar purpose of aligning teeth, but they are also all made of clear plastic material. They are also adjusted the same, changing the tray of aligners every couple of weeks. However, they are different in the following ways:
- The thickness of material – ClearCorrect aligners features a slightly thinner material than that of Invisalign. This can make them much clearer than Invisalign, but there are consequences. The thinner the material, the less sturdy and durable the aligners are.
- Modern design and material – while the two seem to have similar materials, they are different. Invisalign uses a patented thermoplastic material that increases the comfort of wearing them. Besides, removing them is also improved as matters to comfort. The high-tech modern material is also designed to speed up the process of shifting teeth.
Why Are Invisible Aligners Likeable?
Ultimately a dentist in Rockford, IL will tell you that all types of teeth aligners are designed for the same goal, to straighten teeth and improve the appearance of teeth. However, for anyone to choose Invisalign braces over other types, the following benefits can explain why:
- Cosmetic advantage – the invisible aligners are transparent, allowing you to show off your smile even when you go through the teeth alignment procedure.
- Removability – clear aligners are removable, giving you the freedom to eat any kinds of foods you want.
- Effectiveness – over and above, you have to love how effective clear aligners are regarding straightening teeth.
- Versatility – these aligners are equally as effective for treating different oral problems.